Friday, February 13, 2009

Revelation

Having now experienced both, I can say with some authority that the literal knife in the back is way more painful than the proverbial.
I had to have a cyst removed from my back at a Japanese hospital. First thing I noticed was the cashier. Canadians, Europeans, Australians, etc, should not call their systems universal if they do not cover everyone in the universe. I think there is an opportunity for a class action lawsuit there. I am just saying.
My stupid insurance stipulates that I have to pay in advance then wait for the money to come back to me. So along with the cystectomy, which hurt so much, I had a walletectomy which I think annoyed me even more.
Want to be scared? Let someone who doesn't speak the same language as you cut you open while you are watching. Its a bad situation because we think of doctors as the most intelligent people around. Its where the trust needed to allow them to do such things to us comes from but how can you personally gauge someone's intelligence if you cannot communicate with them. Or, worst, weakly communicate with them. In Japanese they say push for both push and pressure (oshimasu) so hearing a doctor say "now pushure" does not inspire faith.
But the operation was a resounding success so I felt better after.
On the bright side, both the nurse and doctor were hot.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

haha now pushure. good story.

\ said...

well. My ordeal isn't over. There was some complication so when I went into have the dressing changed today they also had to scrape my spine with a metal rod. I also have to go back tomorrow and Monday to have the same thing done.
Which, might I add, is way more painful than being sliced open! Not to mention they didn't give me any local for the pain this time. Though I didn't really want the needles either! Let me just say it is a really terrible way to wake up.

crazycatlady said...

pussay.

just kidding, im glad to hear you are ok.....your made up word walletectomy made me attract many a stink eye as i am in the library hahaha

Wrens Nest said...

oh suck it up bud! Coming from a guy who's had 17 surgeries, including bone Graphs and broken jaws, a cyst being removed is minor. But I guess I was able to speak to my doctor...That would play with the nerves a bit.

\ said...

Its getting better now. But, yeah, I think it was the lack of communication.