Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dunkin Donuts in Japan

I was at a Dunkin Donuts in Japan not so long ago. I was Dunkin one of my Doughnuts (as per the instructions the establishment's name offered) when I saw everybody staring at me even more than usual (its strange enough not being Asain.... not being Japanese even). I was at lunch with the manager of my school and she asked me what I was doing and when I explained the name of the store and the fact that it is delicious she was shocked. She had no idea what the name of the shop meant (lets not forget that the symbol beside the name is a doughnut half submerged in a coffee). I suppose I should say I had my 'donaatsu' in my 'koohii' but regardless.
She then went on to say that it was childish to which I retorted the idea of eating doughnuts is a little bit childish in itself. In theory at this point in our lives we should care about our body and stick to healthier food but who does? I say Forgive us our Dunks as we forgive those that dunk near us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed at this one. Mainly because it seemed so quintessentially Japanese. : ) I've been taking Japanese and hope to make it there someday... but that's probably a few years off yet. But in the meantime, I love reading anything about Japan and the Japanese. I think I must have been Japanese in a previous life!

\ said...

I think its an affinity many people feel about Japan. The culture is so complex and sheltered from other cultures that it is an enigma to the western world.
よろしくお願いします