Sunday, September 21, 2008

Typhoon, Earth Quake, Typhoon

I started a short holiday last night after work. Thought I would be able to get a couple things done on my four day weekend (Saturday-Wednesday) including picking up my new work visa and maybe enjoying the end of summer. Well Friday night it looked like the weather might be turning bad as a typhoon rolled through. It was supposed to hit on Saturday so I was happy it was going to be a day early.
This morning there was a pretty strong Earth quake. The dishes that I left drying last night on the counter all rattled pretty good and my window was banging back and forth. It was strong enough to wake me up (which is pretty rare) so I checked it out and it was a 4.9 and only about 50km from where I live. This may be the strongest or, at least, second strongest I have felt. That is to say not the strongest I have experienced but some of the really powerful ones that have occurred since I have come here have been further away and as such they felt weaker. Usually (in my short experience) there seems to be one strong shake with each subsequent shake being weaker than the previous but this one was actually backward to that. The second shake was much stronger so I was a little worried. There is also the knowledge that it could be a weak 2.5 right underneath you or an 8+ that has an epicenter near Kyoto and so even if it feels weak here many people could be in trouble somewhere else.


4.9 East of Tokyo

The little earthquakes are a little bit fun.
Anyways now a second typhoon has struck! It was supposed to miss us but it is raining pretty hard. Earlier the rain was unbelievable. Especially the fact that it wasn't raining when I walked to the 7/11 but on the way back there was 8cm of water flooding all the streets. Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've experienced one earthquake but it was so small I don't remember it. I think it would be interesting to experience one one time...but a small one!

j-rem said...

this is not a blog post, this is a diary entry.

\ said...

I know. And I try to keep it bloggish but it was mostly to show off the website that tracks earthquakes.

Anonymous said...

I grew up right on the fault line in LA and experienced quite a few fairly big quakes. I can still remember earthquake drills in elementary school. Scary stuff! In the PNW now and don't need to worry so much about quakes... now I just worry about the volcanoes :D

Katy said...

I'm glad you are safe, and I'll be praying for you and those near and around you. I've been fortunate enough to not have experienced something of this magnitude.

Great link, too!

Be safe! <3

KH'er, Katy.

Anonymous said...

Wow dude...
Where I live, an earthquake is rather rare. Surprises me that people stay so cool about it when it happens as it did to you.
I only quaked I guess about 15 years ago and I wish to keep it that way... ;-)

greetz from KH'er Christof