Friday, September 12, 2008

McCain in the LEAD?

Since the Republic convention (which was not much of a show) it appears as though McCain has received a bump. Many polls are putting him in the lead and in fact on yahoo it shows the average of polls now puts McCain a couple of points ahead.
This is interesting for me because despite my far left of centre social values (I am a social libertarian and my policies tend to be pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, pro-legalisation, etc, [more to follow on that]). Anyways I hoped McCain would win the nomination the first time he went up for it - I think most people would considering the result was a second Bush. Anyways historically I liked Eisenhower (beware of the industrial-military complex), which he felt was dangerous when an army man was in charge but down right subversive if business people were to take control. I think his dire warning looks to be true when you look at the ramifications of the previous 20 years of presidents. Don't forget even Mr. Congeniality, Clinton, bombed everywhere.
So we want out of Iraq but if nothing good happens then some douche bag named Jeb will end up starting Operation Desert Storm III. After Iraq is dealt with we should go on to get the coalition out of Afghanistan. It seems logical that a military leader will be more inclined to follow the advice of all the generals that Bush ignored.
Anyways, I pulled out my support when McCain made his choice of Palin (and no it is not because her daughter is all preggo.... that is just funny). Palin is a terrible choice. she is from a small state, she is from a corrupt state, she is dorky, she is on record as saying she doesn't know what the VP does, she has absolutely no relevant experience which was a huge selling point of McCain over Obama, and finally she doesn't look presidential with those stupid glasses.
The vetting must have been highly unsubstantial (I bet 90% of Americans didn't know the definition of vetting or vet the root word 2 months ago and 40% still don't know but use the word regularly).
Biden on the other hand is a fine candidate. I would like to see it Biden/Obama not Obama/Biden but lets be honest, Biden has foot-in-the-mouth disease and Obama is too cool to be VP.
Well I imagine a lot of people feel the way I do - that McCain > Obama but Obama/Biden > McCain/Palin. So why did the Republicans get a boost? My theory will be looked at further in another post as I wish to touch on the Media role in both America and Canada at once but my belief is the old boys club that is the media may be trying to swing the election by getting some extremely biased figures to trump up McCain so as to make people believe he is winning in a clear self fulfilling prophecy attempt.

No comments: